Second Annual Inspection PAGE 243. 

June 9, 2007:  Saturday and a good day to get most of the work finished on the annual inspection.  The first thing I did was put the light coat of red-tinted oil on the cleaned air filter.  I let that dry about 20 minutes, then  I put the filtered air box back on the carburetor and connected the carb heat control cable to the door.  Sorry, I did not take a picture of the filter after it was oiled.  I did compare the color with Wendell's brand new filter, and they were the same!

Back at the aft end of the fuselage, the 1/4" bolt that holds the elevator control horns to the elevator push rod is still secure.  The rod end bearings still move freely as does the control stick in the cabin.  I felt the nut on the other side of the bolt and found it also secure.  That electrical cable goes into the outside air temperature probe (OAT).
DSCS0109.JPG (617725 bytes)

The OAT probe connects as part of the wiring to that DBM-9 connector on the front of the remote magnetic sensor for the Dynon D-10A.  All four stainless steel screws and their lock nuts are secure as is the electrical connector.  I was pretty sure of that since the Dynon unit is functioning normally with all active features.
DSCS0110.JPG (663987 bytes)

Rather than trying to get my head into a tight spot and shine my flashlight inside the aft fuselage, it was much easier to put the camera next to the Dynon remote magnetic sensor and take this photo of the interior.  That green cable coming toward the camera lens is the elevator trim control cable heading aft to the elevator trim tab.   The orange box is the ELT transmitter.  The strobe light power supply is still secured to the aft baggage bulkhead on the right side, down low.  That BNC connector and coax cable connected to the "floor" is actually connected to the 75 MHz marker beacon antenna on the bottom of the fuselage.  I heard signals from it as I flew back and forth to Florida in May.  It is still working.
DSCS0111.JPG (585902 bytes)

The elevator hinge bolts are secured of course.  I had a good look at them in May when I put on these clear UHMW plastic "tapes" in an attempt to reduce the size of the openings in the elevator where the hinge bolts are located.  The "whistle" that is known to come from RV-9 and RV-9A airplanes is said to come from these slots.  I still have not had a report from Wendell when I fly over the air strip as to the presence or absence of the "whistle" since I made these changes.   I just realized my watch band is reflected in the paint clear coat on the elevator.
DSCS0112.JPG (689362 bytes)

The aileron bracket in the right wing shares space with the lift reserve indicator.  The tubing and the probe are well clear of the moving bracket and the push rods.
DSCS0113.JPG (634281 bytes)

This view shows how the air tubes share space with the wiring heading for the landing light and wing tip marker light.
DSCS0114.JPG (601710 bytes)

The airplane is all buttoned up on the outside aerodynamically.  I still need to get in the area behind the baggage bulkhead to check the batteries in the ELT transmitter and the status of the wires and cables there.  That will be tomorrow (Sunday).  For now, it is time to get back into the shop and check on the tasks I have assigned to Wendell on his RV-8 project.
DSCS0115.JPG (570691 bytes)

CLICK HERE for PAGE 244 Return to MAIN MENU.